TikTok has taken the world by storm, and if you are not leveraging TikTok for your business, then you’re missing out on a massive potential audience. Businesses of all kinds are starting to see the potential of this video-sharing platform. With over 2 billion active users worldwide, TikTok offers a unique opportunity to reach a broad audience with engaging content. Fun fact: TikTok is the most engaging social platform with an average engagement rate of 5.96%. (source).
Here’s how your business can make the most of TikTok:
1. Identify your target audience and create content that resonates with them. Use trending hashtags and challenges to increase visibility among users who follow those trends. If you’ve already done this exercise as part of your business foundation/plan, then you’re ahead of the game!
2. Keep it short and sweet – videos on TikTok are limited to 60 seconds or less, so get straight to the point.
- 21 to 34 seconds is the recommended optimal video length for a TikTok Video (source)
3. Be creative with your content; don’t be afraid to show some personality!
4. Collaborate with influencers or other brands for increased exposure – this is where TikTok really shines!
Tips for Creating Engaging TikTok Content
So, we know that content is king (er… QUEEN!), but what does that actually look like, from the perspective of a business owner who needs to CREATE the content? Let’s discuss.
TikTok is no longer just a platform for dance challenges and lip-syncing videos. It has become a powerful tool for businesses to connect with their target audience through creative content. However, creating good TikTok content can be challenging, especially when you’re working with limited resources.
To create content that resonates with your audience, it’s important to understand the platform and its users.
- Reach your target audience by finding out what they want to see on TikTok. Research what kind of videos are trending within your niche and use them as inspiration for your own content. You can do this by utilizing the hashtags you may already be using for your company/niche. Search those hashtags on TikTok and see what you find. Doing so will help you stay relevant while also making sure you’re providing value to your followers. (Note: this does not mean you should create content EXACTLY like everything else out there. Inspiration is the key here!)
- TikTok’s algorithm favours short, engaging videos that capture attention within the first few seconds. This means that your content needs to be visually appealing, concise, and impactful.
- Never underestimate the power of a great hook – you want people to be intrigued and curious within 1.5 seconds of them seeing your title.
- Leverage trending hashtags and challenges to increase the visibility of your content. Use popular sounds or music in your videos to create an emotional connection with viewers.
- Collaboration with influencers or other brands is a way to get exposure to their audience (and vice-versa); use it to expand your reach and credibility on the platform. Example: a piano teacher collaborating with a guitar teacher to create a music challenge
- And, of course, keep in mind that authenticity is key on TikTok. Your viewers want to see the real you and not just a polished marketing message.
Are you already on TikTok? If so, I’d love for you to share your experience in the comments below.
Not yet on TikTok, but want to try? Let me know if any of these tips are helpful.